While Jordan is adept at marshaling the many diverse resources available at the firm on behalf of his clients, Jordan’s practice focuses primarily on commercial real estate, general business counseling, and commercial finance.
Commercial Real Estate
Jordan has broad commercial real estate experience managing transactions for owners, investors, lenders, developers and property managers involved in:
- real estate finance transactions
- property ownership and management
- acquisitions and sales
- equity investments
His broad array of clients are involved in numerous types of real estate, including:
- office buildings
- retail centers
- industrial sites
- small to large-scale multi-unit residential developments
- manufactured housing projects
- medical office properties
With an understanding of the complexity and variety of legal issues faced by business owners today, Jordan’s multidisciplinary approach allows him to practically and effectively navigate a wide range of business transactions, including:
- business organization
- choice of entity issues
- financing and private equity
- mergers and acquisitions
- joint ventures
- business restructuring
He also employs his experience as a business owner to advise companies on:
- regulatory issues
- compliance matters
- employment policies
- legal issues related to general operations and business strategy
Jordan stresses sensible solutions to a company’s legal issues both to minimize risk yet accomplish business objectives.
Jordan regularly represents banks, mezzanine lenders, private equity firms, borrowers and other lenders in commercial finance transactions, including commercial and industrial credit facilities, real estate finance, mezzanine credit facilities, construction loans and asset-based financings. He adds value and efficiency to any transaction with a practical and organized approach.
Through his experience advising entrepreneurs seeking alternatives to the traditional means of raising capital, Jordan has developed a particular expertise in equity based crowdfunding, which, with the implementation of the JOBS Act significantly expanded the available pool of investors for real estate projects, startup ventures and other emerging businesses in need of capital. Jordan regularly speaks and writes about the benefits of crowdfunding, the regulations governing the issuance of securities under the JOBS Act and the necessary steps to implement a successful crowdfunding offering.
Before joining Gould & Ratner, Jordan was president and general counsel of a multi-million dollar manufacturing company in the Chicagoland area. The company began as a local operation with fewer than 10 employees and less than $1 million in revenue. Jordan and his team grew the company into a multi-million dollar operation with more than 50 employees, serving some of America’s most well-known companies.
Key Cases or Transactions
- Successfully represented a minority owner of an emerging technology business in a partner dispute leading to settlement through mediation.
- Advised an early-stage technology company in its preparation for an equity based crowdfunding campaign.
- Negotiated a $7 million private placement for an early-stage transportation logistics company and advised the management team in formulating and implementing an exit strategy.
- Represented an entrepreneur in the sale of a start-up power generation company to one of the country’s largest providers of electric power.
- Successfully represented a Chinese tool-and-die manufacturer in a multimillion-dollar dispute with the U.S. division of a global equipment company.
- Structured and drafted long-term incentive compensation program in the form of a “phantom equity” plan for fast-growing technology-related company.
- Represented a local lender in all aspects of a $9 million loan to a borrower for the acquisition, construction and long-term financing of multi-family residential apartment buildings.
- Represented “Big-three” automaker in all real estate related aspects of a $100 million secured revolving loan facility and a $72 million secured term loan facility to a publicly held automotive REIT for REIT’s acquisition and leaseback of multistate automotive dealership property.
- Represented a Chicago-based commercial bank in the $15 million financing of a big-box retail center.
- Represented a Chicago-based commercial bank in the $12 million financing of a multistate mobile-home park portfolio.
- Represented a non-bank lender in financing the turnaround of a distressed manufacturing business.
- Represented a commercial bank in an SBA 7(a) term loan to finance a management buyout of a manufacturing company.
Commercial Real Estate
- Managed, negotiated and closed a $15 million acquisition of the Midwest office headquarters in Schaumburg, Ill. of a leading publicly held cellular tower company.
- Managed, negotiated and closed the sale of an industrial facility and assisted the client with structure and investment, through a 1031 transaction, of the proceeds in a “tenant-in-common” interest in additional investment property.
- Represented clients in all aspects of a residential multi-family development, including land use and zoning matters, bridge financing, structuring a joint venture with a private equity investor, and the construction and sale of individual homes.
- Represented the purchaser of a $4.5M retail shopping center in Wheeling, Ill., and negotiated all leases with restaurant and retail tenants
- Regularly represent a medical office REIT in all leasing and tenant related legal matters in their Chicago real estate portfolio
- Successfully negotiated a recapture agreement with the Village of Lynwood, Ill., on behalf of a developer making infrastructure improvements to undeveloped land.
- Negotiated an annex agreement for 76 acres of undeveloped land to the Village of Manhattan, Ill., in anticipation of a single family home development.
- Successfully represented a client seeking approval of a large electronic billboard sign before Architectural Review and Zoning Committees of the Village of Northbrook, Ill.
- Negotiated commercial leases and easements for billboards on behalf of one of the country’s largest billboard companies.
- Negotiated an agreement with the city of Chicago for a $4 million grant from the City’s Department of Environment for assistance with the re-development for the R.R. Donnelly building in to the city’s first major “Carrier Hotel.”
- Represented a hospitality company in the disposition of a portfolio of Holiday Inn Hotels, including the negotiation of purchase and sale agreements and all aspects of closing of the transaction.
- IIT-Chicago Kent College of Law, JD, 1998
- University of Iowa, BS, 1993
- Illinois 1998
- Michigan 2013
- Grogan Hesse & Uditsky, P.C., Shareholder - Current
- Gould & Ratner, LLP, Partner - 2014 - 2017
- Garelli Grogan Hesse & Hauert, P.C., Partner - 2013
- American Sign Factory, LLC, President & General Counsel 2004 - 2012
- Vedder Price, Associate - 1999 - 2004
- Board Member, Elmhurst Zoning and Planning Commission
- Board of Directors, Congregation Etz Chaim, Lombard, IL
- Founder and Managing Director, Hawkeye Business Development Group of Chicago
- Illinois-licensed Business Broker
- Chicago Bar Association, Private Equity Subcommittee and Real Estate Law Committee